9.09.2008

Quickie Recipe

So that laundry detergent recipe ... here goes:

1 cup soap flakes
1/2 cup washing soda
1/2 cup borax
1/2 cup baking soda


I have to grat my own soap with a cheese grater. The only commercial soap flakes I can find are Ivory and that contains animal products. FYI here, anything containing a form of tallow, contains animal products. I use Kirk's brand castile soap. It has no scent to mix in with the laundry.
I use a basic recipe and add the baking soda to help with odors. If you have hard water, then up the washing soda and borax to 1 cup each.

Use 1 tablespoon per load, 1-1/2 to 2 if it's extra dirty. This recipe does require soaking for mud, caked in dirt and grime, etc. For spot removing mix a bit of borax with water to form a paste and rub into spot (be sure of color fastness for this, though).

Happy green laundrying! :-) And remember this is a home-made recipe that works for me, you may need to adjust it for yourself and note that it does not clean the same as chemical filled products. Also, put this in a jar or container that is CLEARLY labeled and leave with cleaning supplies, you would not want to injest this at all!

No comments: